mahout-user mailing list archives

From Otis Gospodnetic <otis_gospodne...@yahoo.com>
Subject Perfect neighbours
Date Mon, 01 Jun 2009 21:06:35 GMT

Hello,

I was stepping through Taste and noticed that users with 1.0 similarity to the target user
end up in that user's neighbourhood.  1.0 similarity between users means users are exactly
the same, so is there a point in collecting them?  Since they are exactly the same as the
target user, we can't really get any new items to recommend from them.  Is this correct?

It's probably not a frequent case to have users with identical item preferences, but imagine
a case where you are computing recommendations from top 10 most similar users and those 10
most similar users happen to be all perfectly similar users, thus yielding no recommendations.

Thoughts?

Otis