mahout-user mailing list archives

From Shashikant Kore <shashik...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Centroid calculations with sparse vectors
Date Mon, 01 Jun 2009 13:12:39 GMT
Hi Ted,

Looks like I misread your original post (which had error.)  I must
confess that I did not get 100% of what you said in clarification.
Nevertheless, it seemed to help in resolving the problem.

I normalized the input vectors by using L2 norm. (Does that statement
sound right?) That is each term weight was divided by the root of the
sum of squares of weights.  There is no change in the centroid
calculation. Centroid remains as average weight (sum of weights /
numPoints).  Ran Canopy followed by K means clusters to get results.
Results look good now.

The weights in centroid vary between 1e-3 and 1e-7. So, that is as
expected.  Deciding threshold for canopy generation looks be tricky.
T1, T2 values of 1.3 and 0.9 produce 145 canopies. Changing these
values to 1.4 and 1.0 result into a single canopy.

>From this issue, it seems the input vectors should be L1/L2
normalized. Is it a good idea to always normalize the input document
vectors? If yes, can we make appropriate changes to JIRA 126 (create
document vectors from text)?

--shashi