mahout-user mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Amazon Mahout Public AMI v. Mahout on EMR
Date Tue, 19 May 2009 11:11:06 GMT

On May 19, 2009, at 6:59 AM, Tim Bass wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> A few months ago (on the developer's list) we briefly touched on the
> idea of building a Mahout public AMI on EC2.
>
> Subsequently, Amazon released EMR and a number of folks have
> experimented with running sample Mahout jobs on EMR.
>
> What are the pros and cons of creating a public Mahout AMI with Hadoop
> and MapReduce configured with the versions that
> are supported by the developers, in addition to Amazon's EMR
> implementation?

AFAICT, one issue seems to be that EMR locks you into a specific
Hadoop instance.  Not sure if "locks" is too strong, maybe I should
say it "encourages" you to use a specific version?

As Ted and others pointed out, I think we would benefit from tools
that make it easy to add Mahout to an AMI.

-Grant