mahout-user mailing list archives

From Sean Owen <sro...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Newbee : Taste Demo Questions
Date Fri, 10 Apr 2009 22:54:52 GMT
On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 10:56 PM, Niraj <niraj@webscalesolutions.com> wrote:
> On Google App Engine:
> Google App Engine is Available for Java now - It was released earlier this
> week. Check the link at
> http://code.google.com/appengine/docs/java/gettingstarted/

I know, but, it is not open to all developers yet. I can't find a way
to acces it yet.

> Given my usecase - I though that something like SDB would work fine because
> my results were already in database(and did not need to be calculated
> realtime) and I did not care about  ACID properties for database.

Why do you specifically want SDB -- sounds like you already have your
data in a MySQL database or something like it, and, the code can
already use data in a database table.

> Would something like this work in TASTE.  I have still not gotten an

Sure SDB could be made to work in the framework, but I think it
already works on exactly the data store you use now.

> understanding of the implementation of Taste , but it seems that it
> calculates the userid to userid similarity realtime.   Approaches like

Yes.

> dumping the preferences to S3 and then updating via hadoop don't gel in with
> a Message Oriented Architectecture.

Yes, doesn't work if you need prefs to immediately reflect new data,
but there are situations where that is not the case. The
batch-oriented Hadoop/EC2 bindings are for those cases. The core code,
however, is for the sort of real-time situation you describe.