mahout-user mailing list archives

From Sean Owen <sro...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Newbee : Taste Demo Questions
Date Fri, 10 Apr 2009 21:34:09 GMT
On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 10:24 PM, Niraj <niraj@webscalesolutions.com> wrote:
> I am using vista and apparently some tests are failing for
>  mvn install for CORE.

That's probably it -- can you provide any errors? it is almost surely
something to do with paths, which I might be able to fix quickly. core
and examples must build for this to work.

> On another note: Has you out anythought to implementing TASTE for a)google
> App Engine for Java and b) using simple db has the database

App Engine is Python-only for the moment and no I would not seriously
consider reimplementing in Python myself. But it is to support Java
shortly. In that case, yes perhaps.

I had already created a machine image (AMI) for Amazon's EC2 which
would load data from S3, process all recommendations, and shut down.
This sort of thing could be replicated on App Engine; it is a nice
model.

However, even better, Amazon just announced an easy framework for
MapReduce (Hadoop) on EC2. On top of my to-do list is to put together
the steps to run recommenders this way. The Hadoop bindings are
already written; should be easy. This will be an even better model
that the App Engine / EC2 model above. So I suppose I'd focus on this
mostly.

SimpleDB, Amazon's DB? I wouldn't object to a DataModel based on it.
My concern is that recommenders are so data-intensive and access data
so frequently that even a local database is quite slow -- let alone a
distributed database like SimpleDB. I sense it is not cut out for this
use case.