mahout-user mailing list archives

From Sean Owen <sro...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: mahout for news recommendation?
Date Wed, 01 Apr 2009 09:48:30 GMT
Couple clarifications -

The CF components are oriented to on-line, real-time use, though of course
one can trivially build a batch job out of that. That is what I did with the
EC2 image that cranks out recommendations for all users.

The CF component is also already parallelized as much as is practical. There
are already Hadoop jobs for parallel, batch operation.

Finally if you have some external notion of item similarity, like text
similarity between articles, you can and should include this info by
creating an ItemSimilarity with this knowledge. In that case you want to use
an item-based recommender, since it is only in such a case that item-based
recommenders have a distinct advantage.

On Apr 1, 2009 10:32 AM, "Otis Gospodnetic" <otis_gospodnetic@yahoo.com>