mahout-user mailing list archives

From Joshua Bronson <jabron...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: mahout for news recommendation?
Date Fri, 03 Apr 2009 20:59:52 GMT
On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 1:25 AM, Sean Owen <srowen@gmail.com> wrote:

> I can take care of it shortly when I'm back.

Great, thanks! I forgot to mention that the Requirements section lists J2SE
5.0, but actually 6.0 is required (BayesClassifier.java uses a
java.util.Deque, for instance).

> The only tweak I'd make is that 'step 0' is just to obtain the distro,
> which is not necessarily done via SVN and in fact won't be done that way for
> most people.

For sure. On that note, http://lucene.apache.org/mahout/releases.html should
also be updated to link to some tarballs or something no?

> I also see that my 'how to roll your own server' section is now out of date
> too and needs fixing.

A couple other notes on how I got things set up on my Mac:

- After obtaining a compatible version of mvn (2.0.10), I had to
"export JAVA_HOME=/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6/Home"
to get mvn -version to report "Java version: 1.6.0_07" rather than 1.5.0_16.
The mvn install step will fail if it's not using java 1.6.

- To get mahout into Eclipse, I ran "mvn eclipse:eclipse" from the root of
the mahout distro, then in Eclipse I went to File > Import..., chose
"Existing Projects into Workspace", pointed it to the mahout distro, and
everything imported beautifully. I also had to change the JVM Eclipse was
using from 1.5 to 1.6 in Eclipse > Preferences > Java > Installed JREs.

Hope this helps someone.