mahout-user mailing list archives

From Andre Panisson <panis...@di.unito.it>
Subject Estimating detailed preferences
Date Wed, 15 Apr 2009 14:02:49 GMT
Hi Sean,
I have a doubt about estimating preferences with help of more
information than only user and item ids. What if I have other
information like date for example? I see that there is an
implementation of DetailedPreference that provide an object container
for this information, and I think it is simple to provide a dataModel
with DetailedPreference as the base type of the preferences, and a
Recommender that uses it to learn. But the problem is when I need to
use the Recommender interface: it has a method
estimatePreference(Object userID, Object itemID) where you can provide
only user and item ids. I think it would be more straightforward to
have a method estimatePreference(Preference pref), where the given
Preference argument have only the preference value undefined. Then, in
the method implementation, one could make casts and take all provided
information. What you think?

André