mahout-user mailing list archives

From "Sean Owen" <sro...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: collecting data (was Re: What are the business cases for collaborative filtering?)
Date Mon, 13 Oct 2008 08:08:48 GMT
On Sun, Oct 12, 2008 at 8:47 AM, Ian Holsman <lists@holsman.net> wrote:
> right.. we have put our 'real time' portion on the side lines for the
> moment, and are have hadoop jobs running every X minutes to process the data
> coming in.

Incidentally this sort of model is certainly what I recommend. I don't
think real-time updates to recommenders are a good use of resources,
let alone feasible in many cases.

> we put the log files onto HDFS so that other things can read them and
> process them.

PS if you have suggestions for improvements to the code here -- like
an ability to read from N files instead of 1, or N tables or
something, do let me know so I can get on it.