mahout-user mailing list archives

From Otis Gospodnetic <otis_gospodne...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: What are the business cases for collaborative filtering?
Date Sun, 12 Oct 2008 03:23:53 GMT
Hi,

----- Original Message ----

Heh, it sounds like we are going through similar steps.  I first wrote a simple "beacon servlet"
for tracking purposes.  Then opted for a simpler (and more static) pixel tracker and a web
server (nginx) logging and a log parser that is supposed to process that log and store it
to _____ (not sure where, yet, didn't get there) and then from there get it to Taste.  This,
of course, means more batch oriented processes.  Going with the beacon servlet approach could
*presumably* do something closer to real-time recommendations....

Ian, can you elaborate on the "feed data into HDFS" part?  You simply store it in HDFS?  Why
HDFS?  Why not some other FS or why not a RDBMS?  What happens to your data after you store
it in the HDFS?

Thanks,
Otis