mahout-dev mailing list archives

From Pat Ferrel <...@occamsmachete.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Apache Mahout 0.13.0 Release Candidate
Date Fri, 03 Mar 2017 18:41:12 GMT
My first observation is that the typical way to release Scala libs is with multiple versions
for the currently popular Scalas. Akka for instance is not stable with Scala 2.10 anymore
so consider it deprecated and it is the core of Spark. Many libs release 2.10 and 2.11 versions
of binaries with many already on 2.12 also. Mixing versions is a much bigger deal than with
Java and the most common version for current development seems to be 2.11.

There appear to be ways to mix versions in your builds but it is somewhat more complex and
not guaranteed to work. http://docs.scala-lang.org/overviews/core/binary-compatibility-of-scala-releases.html

On a separate note to test in the future it would facilitate things if the maven or sbt snippets
were included to test the staging repo.

I assume sbt is:

scalaVersion := “2.10.4”

val mahoutVersion = “0.13.0"

resolvers += “Apache Staging" at "https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapache
<https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapache>”

// Mahout's Spark libs
"org.apache.mahout" %% "mahout-math-scala" % mahoutVersion,
"org.apache.mahout" %% "mahout-spark" % mahoutVersion,
"org.apache.mahout"  % "mahout-math" % mahoutVersion,
"org.apache.mahout"  % "mahout-hdfs" % mahoutVersion,

BTW I’ve compiled Mahout locally with Scala 2.11 so it may just be a case for someone having
time to update the release process.

I’ll try to test today.