mahout-dev mailing list archives

From Suneel Marthi <smar...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Mahout Streaming Bindings
Date Fri, 09 Dec 2016 17:13:20 GMT
-100

It doesn't make sense adding support for all of the batch and streaming
engines that are available. We presently have a H2O binding which has never
seen any use and I have long been thinking of trashing out.

It would be more productive utilization of the very limited resource time
by porting the legacy Recommender algorithms to Samsara as opposed to
adding anymore of these streaming/batch frameworks.

I have had folks asking me if we support Akka Streams, Apex etc... but most
folks don't know as to how they are gonna be using it or what is it they
are trying to accomplish.

How many Recommender Systems are out there today that need Streaming?
Amazon doesn't do Realtime streaming recommendations yet.  Lambda
frameworks like Oryx 2.0, Summingbird etc.. support that and Mahout-Spark
should be pluggable as the ML engine into those frameworks.

My 2รง.