mahout-dev mailing list archives

From Dmitriy Lyubimov <dlie...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: JIRA's with no commits
Date Thu, 18 Jun 2015 14:04:03 GMT
Asf git mirrors github comments to jira and to dev list. There have been no
discussions on the slack about the code other than announce of the PR
itself (which jira and dev do as well). Discussion time was allowed the
usual time, 5 business says or so. The bulking up of contributions is
unfortunate artifact of bureacracy at big corporations, process no one can
affect. Contributions under corporate cla go thru internal review for
months, after which they cannot be changed.
On Jun 18, 2015 6:54 AM, "Suneel Marthi" <smarthi@apache.org> wrote:

> While I agree that most of the project and design discussions need to be
> confined to dev@ mailing lists and we have been abiding by that norm and
> not resorting to private slack channels.
> The PR that's in question has been in Skunkworks for a while and has only
> recently been pushed to the public codebase. This PR has been open for a
> while now and there's been enuf comments and feedback on the PR.
>
> The JIRAs corresponding to the PR could have done with a comment something
> like "Fixed by PR#XX", something we have been doing always and should be
> cognizant of going forward.  Given that we r now officially using Github,
> most of the comments and discussions happen on the PR itself and would be
> reflected on the JIRA, there is no need to repeat the conversation on the
> mailing lists again.
>
> I guess this discussion stems from the fact that the recent 5K lines PR is
> tied to some 20+ JIRAs that were created for it and yet the comments on the
> PR are not reflected in any of the JIRAs. I agree that this shouldn't be
> happening, but this specific PR is from Skunkworks that's been pending
> clearance from the contributor's corporate legal for over 6 months now and
> has only been growing in size while pending clearance from corporate
> legals. This is a one off exception and shouldn't happen going forward as
> most committers are now past their respective corporate legal hurdles and
> have clearances.
>
> About Slack: We have been using slack to coordinate release process when
> its easier to have the team together and schedule hangouts. Most of the
> design and project discussions still happen on dev@, an example being the
> recent Cholesky Decomposition and Spark Shell enhancements. Slack is only
> being used to bring the team together to better coordinate release process
> and nothing more. Yes, there are exceptions when we do discuss things on
> slack but that's usually stuff that's of little or no interest to the
> general public and is not project specific. The intent here is definitely
> not to become an 'Openly Closed' project.
>
> If there's a question about the PR itself, please feel free to start the
> discussion on dev@.
>

> On Thu, Jun 18, 2015 at 4:52 AM, Andrew Musselman <
> andrew.musselman@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Do you think PR comments are relevant discussions?  Again, what is the
> > allowance/guidance from the ASF for them, now that Github is officially
> > approved/advised.
> >
> > I suggest it's worth raising to the larger ASF community for comment and
> > adaptation.
> >
> > On Thu, Jun 18, 2015 at 1:45 AM, Sebastian <ssc@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> > > The ASF mandates that all relevant discussions happen on the
> mailinglist.
> > >
> > > Best,
> > > Sebastian

> the