mahout-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Palumbo <ap....@outlook.com>
Subject Mahout 1.0 features (revisited)
Date Thu, 23 Oct 2014 22:57:39 GMT
I made a list of Mahout 1.0 features by engine a while back which I’ve just reorganized (and
added links to).  I’m not sure whether It’s more confusing this way or the original way:

Original:

    https://andrewpalumbo.github.io/algorithms_by_engine

One concern is that it doesn’t emphasize the new work done in math-scala  enough- given
that there’s only one line of the table devoted to it.  For this reason, I’ve reorganized
it a bit.

Reorganized:

    https://andrewpalumbo.github.io/features_by_engine

But this becomes confusing- eg. having 2 entries for SSVD- one in “Mahout Math-Scala Core
and Scala DSL” and one in “Collaborative Filtering with CLI Drivers”.   For this reason
I’ve tried to break it down into core-algorithms (math-scala, dsl, etc), and and end2end
implementations of those algorithms (and others) with a CLI.  Here though too, I feel that
this is somewhat confusing: eg. does it seem that there is no SSVD algorithm implemented for
Spark or H2O?

I’d like to commit this in place of the “List of algorithms page”:

     http://mahout.apache.org/users/basics/algorithms.html

This new table is inclusive of all that is on the list for 0.9 (with the exception of FPG).

Briefly going over yesterday’s “Mahout vs Spark” thread: http://mail-archives.us.apache.org/mod_mbox/mahout-user/201410.mbox/browser,I’d
like to put something out there to give users, developers and contributors a quick overview
of what Mahout 1.0 is/has/does/extends/keeps/can be used for.  However I don’t want it to
cause any more confusion.

There are probably some poorly described features, and maybe some incorrect links, so once
I’ve committed it, you guys may want to have at it.

Or I can just commit as is and people can have at the organization.

I’m in favor of the revised/reorganized page.  I’d appreciate feedback from any and all-
specifically on whether the page is confusing and if so how it might be better organized.

Thanks,

Andy