mahout-dev mailing list archives

From Ted Dunning <ted.dunn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: H2O integration - completion and review
Date Sat, 12 Jul 2014 04:12:38 GMT
On Fri, Jul 11, 2014 at 2:00 PM, Dmitriy Lyubimov <dlieu.7@gmail.com> wrote:

> And most importantly, as i always was saying, the main benefit to me is not
> that there's a CF algorithm in Mahout, but that i can write a custom one of
> my own with less effort than just writing directly to any given engine api.
> That part is very conceptual (drm api-dependent) and would be common
> regardless of my deployment infrastructure. In other words, everyone can
> just write their own co-occurrence analysis version hopefully easier than
> just writing it directly for Spark or directly to H20 if he/she wanted to.
> that's the real story (at least in my talk).

I agree with this 110%.

In fact, I would argue that if all the engines worked just the same that
there would be absolutely no reason to have more than one.  It is precisely
the differences that make having more than one important.

The goal of the DSL is to minimize the gratuitous aspects of those
differences so that you can relatively easily make use of the virtues of
one engine or another.