mahout-dev mailing list archives

From Ted Dunning <ted.dunn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Mahout 1.0 goals
Date Sun, 02 Mar 2014 16:45:33 GMT
Ravi,

Good points.

On Sun, Mar 2, 2014 at 12:38 AM, Ravi Mummulla <ravi.mummulla@gmail.com>wrote:

> - Natively support Windows (guidance, etc. No documentation exists today,
> for instance)

There is a bit of demand for that.

- Faster time to first application (from discovery to first application
> currently takes a non-trivial amount of effort; how can we lower the bar
> and reduce the friction for adoption?)

There is huge evidence that this is important.

>  - Better documenting use cases with working samples/examples
> (Documentation
> on https://mahout.apache.org/users/basics/algorithms.html is spread out
> and
> there is too much focus on algorithms as opposed to use cases - this is an
> adoption blocker)

This is also important.

> - Uniformity of the API set across all algorithms (are we providing the
> same experience across all APIs?)

And many people have been tripped up by this.

>  - Measuring/publishing scalability metrics of various algorithms (why
> would
> we want users to adopt Mahout vs. other frameworks for ML at scale?)

I don't see this as important as some of your other points, but is still
useful.