mahout-dev mailing list archives

From Saikat Kanjilal <sxk1...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: Mahout 1.0 goals
Date Sat, 08 Mar 2014 22:31:37 GMT
Ok so the idea here is to tie and make some strategic partnerships with some other open source
products and provide Mahout as one component of a web application, so the use cases for mahout
will be partly driven by the use cases for the web application itself, so in a nutshell a
web application requires: 1) search 2) recommendations 3) a primary data store.  The recommendations
may be driven by the higher level use cases but the key piece here will be pushing mahout
into delivering real time recommendations that someone can then perform searches over. One
example might be to search for music recommendations like what spotify already does and perform
term filters, term queries or other lucene based searches to deliver results.  Another might
be to identify how recommendations fit into the rest endpoints or in the case of serviceizing
mahout they can be rest endpoints.    I've been thinking about this for a while since lately
I've seen a lot of discussions around mahout being hard to use or pick up and learn.   If
there's enough interest I can go into more detail when we meet to discuss 1.0

> Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2014 11:44:53 +0100
> From: ssc@apache.org
> To: dev@mahout.apache.org
> Subject: Re: Mahout 1.0 goals
>
> Hm, can you elaborate more what you mean? IMHO Mahout is a library only,
> so we should not build a complete MVC application inside this project, I
> think this is something that people should build on top, like
> prediction.io .
>
> --sebastian
>

> On 03/08/2014 12:16 AM, Saikat Kanjilal wrote:
> > I was also wondering if there'd be any interest in building a plugin to interface
with elasticsearch and spring, so what I am thinking is an MVC type service that performs
lucene like searches on recommendation algorithm data stored inside a low latency data store,
I know/saw that  there was a discussion on a solr recommender on mahout and would be glad
to help lead/build an elasticsearch version.