mahout-dev mailing list archives

From Dmitriy Lyubimov <dlie...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Mahout 1.0 goals
Date Fri, 28 Feb 2014 05:49:35 GMT
On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 7:01 PM, Andrew Musselman <
andrew.musselman@gmail.com> wrote:

> And I'm not sure if this is what Dmitriy meant in his comments (3), but I'd
> love to be able to do Mathematica-style work in an interactive shell and/or
> symbolic system where I could do A*B' and it just worked.  That would crush
> everything on the market, though it could be a lot of work to build a DSL
> that supports it.

Actually, I've already had that in one incarnation and now rewriting it for
the second time -- check out WIP in
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MAHOUT-1346 . My previous
implementation ended up not lending itself well to physical plan rewrites,
so i rolled it back and started over.

DSL itself is not so much a problem. Optimizer rules are somewhat a
problem. E.g. in SSVD there's a part that deals with skinny matrix
multiplication. There're also some decisions i am not sure about -- like a
thing about row keying in Mahout DRM which generally doesn't have to be row
index and which doesn't play well with some of rewrites -- but SSVD in
general allows non-integer row keying for A and U matrices, so there are
questions of how to isolate those issues architecturally from pure linear
algebra in matrices etc.