mahout-dev mailing list archives

From Ted Dunning <ted.dunn...@gmail.com>
Subject Mahout 1.0 goals
Date Fri, 28 Feb 2014 00:37:18 GMT
I would like to start a conversation about where we want Mahout to be for
1.0.  Let's suspend for the moment the question of how to achieve the
goals.  Instead, let's converge on what we really would like to have happen
and after that, let's talk about means that will get us there.

Here are some goals that I think would be good in the area of numerics,
classifiers and clustering:

- runs with or without Hadoop

- runs with or without map-reduce

- includes (at least), regularized generalized linear models, k-means,
random forest, distributed random forest, distributed neural networks

- reasonably competitive speed against other implementations including
graphlab, mlib and R.

- interactive model building

- models can be exported as code or data

- simple programming model

- programmable via Java or R

- runs clustered or not

What does everybody think?