mahout-dev mailing list archives

From Frank Scholten <fr...@frankscholten.nl>
Subject Optimization of AbstractLogisticRegression.regularize?
Date Mon, 03 Feb 2014 20:53:41 GMT
Hi all,

I profiled the AbstractLogisticRegression.regularize() method with
JVisualVM and I could reduce the CPU time by 10% by a doing the following:

* Using setQuick() instead of set()
* Switching the isSealed() and updateSteps == null check
* Computing lambda * learningRate outside of the loop
* Iterating over the categories first and over elements second

I like to experiment a bit more on performance tuning and looking at
HotSpot and such because I am not sure why certain changes made the
improvements. Does anyone know how to go from here, in terms of which tools
to use and what kind of approach to take?

Also, is this optimization even worth it or perhaps there are other areas
more important in Mahout to optimize? I just ran VisualVM again and now it
isn't at the top of profiler anymore, now it is
FeatureVectorEncoder.bytesForString()

Cheers,

Frank