mahout-dev mailing list archives

From Ted Dunning <ted.dunn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Adding an algorithm to Mahout
Date Tue, 15 Oct 2013 11:24:56 GMT
This sounds great that you guys are willing to support this capability.

Do you know of any users for this?

On Tue, Oct 15, 2013 at 10:47 AM, M. Emin Ak┼čehirli <
emin.aksehirli@gmail.com> wrote:

>  - Shall I start a JIRA issue?

Yes.

>   - Shall I use the old fpm package for the algorithms?

Sounds right to me.

>   - We use a file for configuration because it makes runs easier to
> reproduce, is this OK with Mahout guidelines?

With documentation, anything that makes it easier for users is good.  What
do you think about having a config object for which the configuration file
is the serialized form?

>  - Is there a guideline for the trade off between code quality and
> performance? For example we preferred functional/integration tests to unit
> tests because making some classes unit testable adds too much class
> creation overhead.

I would have to see some examples before commenting on this, except to say
that I have almost never had a case where this was actually true for
machine learning sorts of applications except where people were drawing the
definition of unit test very, very tightly.