mahout-dev mailing list archives

From Ted Dunning <ted.dunn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Mahout's future
Date Tue, 15 Oct 2013 05:52:14 GMT
Check out the recent drill mailing list for a way to have a long standing URL for a hangout.

Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 15, 2013, at 6:21, Suneel Marthi <suneel_marthi@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Will schedule a hangout for this Thursday - 7pm (Eastern Time) tentatively.
>
> I would like us to first discuss about Mahout 0.9 release, will send out an agenda once
I schedule it.

> Regards,
> Suneel
>

> On Tuesday, October 15, 2013 12:24 AM, Saikat Kanjilal <sxk1969@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> Following up , Suneel/Grant are we still on for meeting this week on a google hangout,
would love to neet this week.

>> From: sxk1969@hotmail.com
>> To: dev@mahout.apache.org
>> Subject: RE: Mahout's future
>> Date: Sun, 6 Oct 2013 07:00:50 -0700
>>
>> +1Can you send out a quick agenda (hopefully with my input incorporated) before the
hangout?Regards
>>> Date: Sun, 6 Oct 2013 03:58:10 -0700
>>> From: suneel_marthi@yahoo.com
>>> Subject: Re: Mahout's future
>>> To: dev@mahout.apache.org
>>>
>>> Grant would be available the week of Oct 14 for a hangout (tentatively).
>>> We could go ahead and schedule one next week if there's (and seems very much
like it) enough response.  I can go ahead and facilitate one.

>>> I will be 100% focused on Mahout from next week once I start at my new job from
Monday.

>>> Regarding building something for Deep Learning, Yexi's patch for MLP (see M-1265)
may be a good place to refactor/start thinking about the foundations.
>>> I guess Ted is alluring to build something like what's been described in the
Google paper (see http://www.cs.toronto.edu/~ranzato/publications/DistBeliefNIPS2012_withAppendix.pdf).
Correct?

>>> Suneel
>>>

>>> ________________________________

a few already productionalized use cases into the integration tests in mahout, this will help
additional users get on board faster2) Deep learning is really interesting, however I'd like
to help research some common use cases first before tying this into mahout3) It'd be good
to put some thought into  documenting when you would choose what type of algorithm given a
production machine learning recommendation system to build, this would give more visibility
for users into choosing the right mixture of algorithms to build a production ready recommender,
often what I've found is that a bulk of the time in building productionalized recommenders
is spent cleaning and filtering noisy data4) I'd like to also explore how to tie in machine
learning algorithms into real time systems built using twitter storm (http://storm-project.net/),
it seems that industry more and more is
> wanting
>>>   to do real time analytics on the fly, I'm curious what type of algorithms we'd
need for this and back propagate these into mahout

gtalk/conference to talk through possibilities.