mahout-dev mailing list archives

From Suneel Marthi <suneel_mar...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Mahout's future
Date Sun, 06 Oct 2013 10:58:10 GMT
Grant would be available the week of Oct 14 for a hangout (tentatively).
We could go ahead and schedule one next week if there's (and seems very much like it) enough
response.  I can go ahead and facilitate one.

I will be 100% focused on Mahout from next week once I start at my new job from Monday.

Regarding building something for Deep Learning, Yexi's patch for MLP (see M-1265) may be a
good place to refactor/start thinking about the foundations.
I guess Ted is alluring to build something like what's been described in the Google paper
(see http://www.cs.toronto.edu/~ranzato/publications/DistBeliefNIPS2012_withAppendix.pdf).
Correct?

Suneel

________________________________
 From: Ted Dunning <ted.dunning@gmail.com>
To: "dev@mahout.apache.org" <dev@mahout.apache.org>
Cc: "dev@mahout.apache.org" <dev@mahout.apache.org>
Sent: Sunday, October 6, 2013 2:10 AM
Subject: Re: Mahout's future

Saikat

These are all good suggestions.  I would have a hard time suggesting a prioritization of
them.

Does anybody remember what grant said about having another hangout?

Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 6, 2013, at 7:15, Saikat Kanjilal <sxk1969@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I wanted to mention a few other things:1)It might be useful to take and embed a few already
productionalized use cases into the integration tests in mahout, this will help additional
users get on board faster2) Deep learning is really interesting, however I'd like to help
research some common use cases first before tying this into mahout3) It'd be good to put some
thought into  documenting when you would choose what type of algorithm given a production
machine learning recommendation system to build, this would give more visibility for users
into choosing the right mixture of algorithms to build a production ready recommender, often
what I've found is that a bulk of the time in building productionalized recommenders is spent
cleaning and filtering noisy data4) I'd like to also explore how to tie in machine learning
algorithms into real time systems built using twitter storm (http://storm-project.net/), it
seems that industry more and more is wanting
 to do real time analytics on the fly, I'm curious what type of algorithms we'd need for this
and back propagate these into mahout