mahout-dev mailing list archives

From Dmitriy Lyubimov <dlie...@gmail.com>
Subject Mahout vectors/matrices/solvers on spark
Date Wed, 19 Jun 2013 01:14:24 GMT
Hello,

so i finally got around to actually do it.

I want to get Mahout sparse vectors and matrices (DRMs) and rebuild some
solvers using spark and Bagel /scala.

I also want to use in-core solvers that run directly on Mahout.

Question #1: which mahout artifacts are better be imported if I don't want
to pick the hadoop stuff dependencies? Is there even such a separation of
code? I know mahout-math seems to try to avoid being hadoop specfic but not
sure if it is followed strictly.

Question #2: which in-core solvers are available for Mahout matrices? I
know there's SSVD, probably Cholesky, is there something else? In
paticular, i need to be solving linear systems, I guess Cholesky should be
equipped enough to do just that?

Question #3: why did we try to import Colt solvers rather than actually
depend on Colt in the first place? Why did we not accept Colt's sparse
matrices and created native ones instead?

Colt seems to have a notion of parse in-core matrices too and seems like a
well-rounded solution. However, it doesn't seem like being actively
supported, whereas I know Mahout experienced continued enhancements to the
in-core matrix support.

Thanks in advance
-Dmitriy