mahout-dev mailing list archives

From Ted Dunning <ted.dunn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Can Mahout do pattern recognition?
Date Fri, 31 May 2013 20:03:02 GMT
On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 3:40 PM, Mimi Tam <mimi.tam@ieee.org> wrote:

>   Can I use Mahout (on Hadoop data) exclusively (i.e. not Mahout and FANN
> combined) to cluster and classify wireless/wired calls from a certain
> customer (M2M applications e.g. Smart Grid or Life Alert) and also does
> pattern recognition as described above?

Yes. Mahout could be useful for this.  And it could easily be used for data
that is not actually in Hadoop.

There will be substantial work in preparing the data, however, so be
prepared.  In the end, more than 90% of the effort in your project will
have to do with data preparation and understanding.