mahout-dev mailing list archives

From Dmitriy Lyubimov <dlie...@gmail.com>
Subject Random generator from random utils
Date Tue, 04 Sep 2012 06:54:10 GMT
Hello,

i have a question regarding line 344 in SSVDSolver:

Random rnd = RandomUtils.getRandom();

This random generator is used to obtain initial seed for random matrix
of SSVD. It used to be just "new Random()" but at some point
apparently was replaced with that util call.

At least in unit test this seems to result in situation that unit test
essentially gets a deterministic random gen. My guess is the intent is
to keep unit tests from failing non-deterministically from time to
time.

but am i right assuming that outside of Mahout's unit test this
actually will always be non-deterministic and I will be getting
different seeds? Cause if i don't, i think that's a problem.

Thanks.
-Dmitriy