mahout-dev mailing list archives

From Lance Norskog <goks...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Goals for Mahout 0.7
Date Sun, 12 Feb 2012 04:45:58 GMT
For incremental improvements, usability and correctness of algorithms.
The "new" Naive Bayes and SGD algorithms both seem to have trouble
classifying. Also, interpretation of results. It is hard to summarize
the quality of results. I often feel like the math-savvy implementors
print a bunch of numbers and say "that looks right", and the rest of
us struggle to get an intuition of what's going on and why.

For new features, "Mahout Online" would be great: a web service that
packages all of the "online" algorithms (tractable speed and memory
use).

On Sat, Feb 11, 2012 at 1:29 PM, Frank Scholten <frank@frankscholten.nl> wrote:
> I'd like to add solving ClassNotFoundException problems with third
> party jars in some jobs.
>
> I experimented with having seq2sparse uploading a third party jar with
> analyzer and add it to the DistributedCache. Uploading works but
> didn't yet get it working inside the Mappers. I have some code lying
> around for this that can be used as a starting point, including a
> separate project that has dependencies on Mahout and on an analyzer to
> test things out.
>
> Another thing would be adding or improving the integration tools. For
> example adding a mysql2seq to cluster text from a SQL database.
>
> On Sat, Feb 11, 2012 at 8:01 PM, Jeff Eastman
> <jdog@windwardsolutions.com> wrote:
>> Now that 0.6 is in the box, it seems a good time to start thinking about
>> 0.7, from a high level goal perspective at least. Here are a couple that
>> come to mind:
>>
>> Target code freeze date August 1, 2012
>> Get Jenkins working for us again
>> Complete clustering refactoring and classification convergence
>
> What kind of clustering refactoring do mean here? I did some work on
> creating bean configurations in the past (MAHOUT-612). I
> underestimated the amount of work required to do the entire
> refactoring. If this can be contributed and committed on a per-job
> basis I would like to help out.

Lance Norskog
goksron@gmail.com