mahout-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Eastman <j...@windwardsolutions.com>
Subject Re: Goals for Mahout 0.7
Date Tue, 14 Feb 2012 20:29:58 GMT
+users@

Just to be clear, I'm not advocating replacing the JIRA process with a
new set of green-field goals. Rather, IMHO, having a small number of
overarching goals for a release *could* help us focus our efforts
(triage our feature JIRAs) and *might* suggest some missing JIRAs that
would give that release more completeness, usability and "sizzle" in
those few areas. Hopefully more completeness and usability and sizzle
than we might otherwise obtain using a scattered, bottom-up approach.

It's the sort of release planning and priority setting I've observed
product managers doing in my many past lives. Of course, fixing defects
has a higher priority than adding new features, but giving each release
some focus and coherence is a mark of a mature product program. An 80%
solution in three areas is not as good as a 100% solution in one. At HP,
we used to say "Do a few things well". We've been saying "Well, let's do
a few more things" too long.