mahout-dev mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Code freeze for 0.5 release May 20
Date Sun, 15 May 2011 19:07:29 GMT
Sean,

Anything I can do to help prep. an RC?

-Grant

On May 9, 2011, at 2:13 PM, Sebastian Schelter wrote:

> There is an implementation of an algorithm called ALS-WR which was developed for the
Netflix-Prize. It contains a parallelized matrix factorization, but the algorithm itself is
iterative which is not a good fit for the MapReduce paradigm, so this implementation should
be considered experimental at best currently.

> --sebastian
>

> On 09.05.2011 19:26, Sean Owen wrote
>> What you see in trunk now is basically what you'll get.
>> I know Sebastian has done a lot of work on this piece since 0.4, yes,
>> so I imagine the answer is 'yes' it's new and different and perhaps
>> better for your purpose.
>>
>> On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 6:03 PM, James James<recommendersystem@yahoo.com>  wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I was wondering if the new release 0.5 will include the new implementation of
>>> SVD-based recommender? I know there exists an old implementation in Mahout, but
>>> it does not really scalable.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> James

Grant Ingersoll
Lucene Revolution -- Lucene and Solr User Conference
May 25-26 in San Francisco
www.lucenerevolution.org