mahout-dev mailing list archives

From Ted Dunning <ted.dunn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Mahout on Google App Engine
Date Wed, 29 Sep 2010 19:11:39 GMT
I am not 100% up on the limitations imposed by the app engine, but I am sure
that you would need to swap out the persistence
layers for the recommendation engine.  That should not be difficult but is a
moderately low level task.

You will also be limited to deploying preconstructed classifier models or
only training for very limited amounts of time.  That would
be feasible using small batches of training data sent to the app engine at a
time.  Updating models from persistent storage in order
to allow them to be shared is doable, but would require new plumbing in
certain areas.

So I am not saying you have to move your customer facing app to EC2.  There
are limits that you need to investigate to determine
whether they impinge on your use and if you train any models off line, then
you need to do that training on something other than
App engine.