mahout-dev mailing list archives

From Saikat Kanjilal <sxk1...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Virtualized test environment
Date Thu, 19 Aug 2010 14:24:17 GMT
Hello Grant,
Thanks for responding I would love to help with this, I have deployed a few apps to large
clusters so I can help kind of map out how our deployment mechanism would work in various
environments. Let me know next steps and what I can help with.

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 19, 2010, at 5:29 AM, Grant Ingersoll <gsingers@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi Saikat,
>
> I like this idea, esp. as someone who doesn't have ready access to a large cluster.
One thing we could consider is putting together a proposal to the Board to buy credits somewhere
for committers and active contributors and also to test on.

> FWIW, I've also started playing w/ Amazon's EMR JDK and I think it would be interesting
to hook it in automatically to the Mahout driver program.

> -Grant
>
> On Aug 18, 2010, at 11:05 AM, Saikat Kanjilal wrote:
>

>> Hi Folks,I saw a thread around freebsd jails being setup a week or so ago, I was
wondering if you guys had thought about setting up a virtualized test environment so that
folks working on patches can test their code on a virtualized hadoop cluster inside an actual
data center.   Is there a set of machines we can leverage for this simulation of "production-level"
testing.  It may help to really see how some of these algorithms perform and scale outside
of a local "single-machine" environment.   I had brought up doing something similar to EC2
but just dont know enough about the other Apache projects to know what everyone else is doing.