mahout-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Kumar <joeku...@gmail.com>
Subject Defaulting $HADOOP_CONF_DIR to $HADOOP_HOME/conf
Date Tue, 17 Aug 2010 04:26:08 GMT
Hi all,

while trying to understand the clusterdump utility, I encountered a message
"no HADOOP_CONF_DIR or HADOOP_HOME set, running locally". As per some of the
discussions in Apr'10 (
http://lucene.472066.n3.nabble.com/Dealing-with-kmean-and-meanshift-output-td708824.html#a709066),
it would be good to default the hadoop conf directory to hadoop_home/conf.

So I've changed the script to accommodate this.
*Existing code:*
if [ "$HADOOP_CONF_DIR" = "" ] || [ "$HADOOP_HOME" = "" ] || [
"$MAHOUT_LOCAL" != "" ] ; then
  if [ "$HADOOP_CONF_DIR" = "" ] || [ "$HADOOP_HOME" = "" ] ; then
    echo "no HADOOP_CONF_DIR or HADOOP_HOME set, running locally"
  elif [ "$MAHOUT_LOCAL" != "" ] ; then
    echo "MAHOUT_LOCAL is set, running locally"
  fi
  exec "$JAVA" $JAVA_HEAP_MAX $MAHOUT_OPTS -classpath "$CLASSPATH" $CLASS
"$@"
else
  echo "running on hadoop, using HADOOP_HOME=$HADOOP_HOME and
HADOOP_CONF_DIR=$HADOOP_CONF_DIR"

*New code:*
if [ "$HADOOP_HOME" = "" ] || [ "$MAHOUT_LOCAL" != "" ] ; then
  if [ "$HADOOP_HOME" = "" ] ; then
    echo "no HADOOP_HOME set, running locally"
  elif [ "$MAHOUT_LOCAL" != "" ] ; then
    echo "MAHOUT_LOCAL is set, running locally"
  fi
  exec "$JAVA" $JAVA_HEAP_MAX $MAHOUT_OPTS -classpath "$CLASSPATH" $CLASS
"$@"
else
  if [ "$HADOOP_CONF_DIR" = "" ] ; then
    HADOOP_CONF_DIR=$HADOOP_HOME/conf
    echo "no HADOOP_CONF_DIR set. so defaulting HADOOP_CONF_DIR to
$HADOOP_HOME/conf "
  fi
echo "running on hadoop, using HADOOP_HOME=$HADOOP_HOME and
HADOOP_CONF_DIR=$HADOOP_CONF_DIR"

In my local machine, I've just set HADOOP_HOME and the script defaults the
$HADOOP_CONF_DIR directory and runs on hadoop.
If this issue / fix looks valid, I'll open a JIRA issue and attach the
patch.

Appreciate your thoughts / feedbacks,
Joe.