mahout-dev mailing list archives

From Sean Owen <sro...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Moving to new Hadoop APIs
Date Tue, 25 May 2010 19:58:01 GMT
That's a good perspective. I don't think moving to the new APIs is
that burdensome, especially as we're doing a better and better job of
centralizing and standardizing our approach to interacting with
Hadoop.

I somehow sense we're going to need to run 'close to the metal' with
Hadoop to squeeze maximum performance out of it. Hence maybe we aren't
the casual users that would most benefit from a layer in between. But
that's just a hunch.

This is, so far, an isolated issue that I'm attacking. Maybe it is
just bad practice to have two mappers with different inputs but I
think it's a handy trick.

For now, I may punt and just use the old code for this particular
mechanism, since it's only deprecated. When/if it goes away, then we
can really deal with it. By that time maybe new solutions are
available.