mahout-dev mailing list archives

From Jake Mannix <jake.man...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: mahout/solr integration
Date Fri, 16 Apr 2010 18:34:27 GMT
On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 11:31 AM, Robin Anil <robin.anil@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Hmm... this was a bit scattered of a response, but I'm really loathe
> > to turn away a) nice hooks between Solr and Mahout, b) scripting-style
> > wrappers which could expand our community, and c) simply new
> > functionality.
> >
> > +1
> I definitely don't want to turn it away, I want to ensure that duplication
> of stuff don't happen and the heavy lifting is indeed done in Java and it
> should be easy enough for anyone to consume in any existing app in any
> language, Even something as crazy as COBOL apps calling Mahout classifiers
> http://www.emunix.emich.edu/info/cobol/books/dpjafc.htm
>
> LSA implementation should actually be in Mahout core. I would love it to be

LSA in pure java is on my roadmap, it's not much work to do on top of what
we already have, actually.  The question is what you do with it - putting it
inside
of Lucene is one way, and making a simple standalone latent semantic index
is another, but that's definitely a core feature, regardless of what wrapper
we
have.

  -jake