mahout-dev mailing list archives

From Ted Dunning <ted.dunn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Proposal: make collections releases independent of the rest of Mahout
Date Tue, 06 Apr 2010 18:43:44 GMT
For what it is worth, I actually prefer this approach to the multi-pom
approach in many cases.  If it really is a separate thing, it might as well
have a separate release schedule and artifact.  If it isn't a separate
thing, then you might as well use a single pom.  This heuristic doesn't
always work, and I know that people with more maven experience than I have
work under different principles.  My explanation for the difference in
opinion is that the separated project may be better for those with limited
maven experience while the more complex arrangement may be better for those
with a native fluency.

As such, giving mahout-collections and ultimately mahout-math their own
version number is a fine thing.  Also will pretty much always exhibit more
maturity than the core mahout project if only because the needs they fulfill
are better understood.  That makes the 1.0 version for collections match the
0.4 upcoming version for Mahout.