mahout-dev mailing list archives

From Drew Farris <drew.far...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Working With Maven in Eclipse
Date Wed, 17 Mar 2010 19:25:08 GMT
On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 3:07 PM, Jeff Eastman
<jdog@windwardsolutions.com> wrote:

> Are any of you using this IDE in a more automatic way?

I use eclipse Galileo and m2eclipse 0.9 and the 'import maven
projects' feature. I check out the mahout sources into my workspace
directory, do a full build on the command-line and then fire up the
import in eclipse from File > Import > Maven Projects. I point it at
the mahout root directory. You are then given the opportunity to
choose which sub-modules to import. You don't need to import them all,
only the projects you are interested in working with.

This sets up one eclipse project for each of the mahout sub-modules
you chose. Inter-project dependencies are automatically resolved. For
example, if mahout-core and mahout-math are both open the m2eclipse
plugin will automatically set up a project dependency on mahout-math
in mahout-core. If you close mahout-math, the plugin will
automatically revert to a jar dependency for mahout-math.

IIRC, if you are importing mahout-collections/mahout-math you will
have to add the target/generated-sources directories to your build
path manually and do a refresh on the dependent projects.
Alternatively just avoid importing these (or close them) and they will
be treated as a regular jar dependency.

I've found this works much better than doing the checkout into eclipse
directly via the m2eclipse 'check out maven projects from scm'
importer. I haven't tried eclipse:eclipse on a multimodule project
like Mahout. I