mahout-dev mailing list archives

From Jake Mannix <jake.man...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Mass Code Cleanup
Date Sun, 14 Feb 2010 21:23:42 GMT
On Sun, Feb 14, 2010 at 12:03 PM, Robin Anil <robin.anil@gmail.com> wrote:

> > I think we've got enough negative votes toward mass application of
> > checkstyle formatting, yes?
>
> Let me make a case here for having this one time cleanup today. And making
> sure we decrease those glaring checkstyle violations. 60-70% of it. With
> over 2K violations, I am sure no on is going to fix them any time soon. And
> when new code comes the new errors will keep piling with the rest.
> So, lets have it now. This mass change fixed the majority. It created some
> edge cases which could be hand cleaned. Later we can have some form of
> Hackathon where we can fix the rest of it.

But what pain is caused by not having these 2K violations fixed?  We're
not Google here (or Boeing, where I used to work, where we had svn commit
hooks which rejected commits if any file in the commit violated the
checkstyle
rules), we've got more important things to do than worry about whether there
are no "errors" in the checkstyle report.

I have no desire to have a  Hackathon on fixing coding style.  I have a
limited
amount of my time I can spend on open source programming, and I don't really
see much point in spending it changing whitespace and ordering of modifiers
and imports.  If I wanted to do that, I'd have taken up a job as an editor,
not
a software engineer.

  -jake