mahout-dev mailing list archives

From Ted Dunning <ted.dunn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: What is content based recommendation, to you
Date Wed, 27 Jan 2010 05:15:23 GMT
This is a fine way to go (and I have often (mis)used search engines as
recommendation engines).

Another angle is to consider the item level recommendations for a single
item to simply be additional attributes.  You can also look at user level
cooccurrence analysis of attributes (including SVD) as simply a way to
smooth out the attributes a bit so that sparsity doesn't take such a big
bite out of serendipity.

This makes cooccurrence analysis look a whale of a lot like anchor text
propagation which speaks to your final point.

--
Ted Dunning, CTO
DeepDyve