mahout-dev mailing list archives

From Benson Margulies <bimargul...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Collections of primitives.
Date Tue, 12 Jan 2010 12:34:51 GMT
Dawid,

I find that I didn't quite answer all of your questions, and then
again maybe I'm not in a position to.

I started this by looking for some way to get the functionality of
Trove without the GPL. When I discovered that Mahout had already
absorbed Colt, I decided that the shortest path was to start from
there.

I looked into planting this in commons-collections, but it was not so
easy. Colt collections depend on some scalar math code (random
numbers, etc). The commons-math people have a very high bar for
contributions, and the process of factoring out the math substrate,
comparing it to commons math, identifying the delta, contributing it
to math, etc, etc, was beyond my personal resources.

If you've got a foundation member at hand, collections will make you a
sandbox to facilitate the contribution. Much as I'm enjoying myself at
this, I certainly won't be offended if Mahout throws it all out in
favor of what you've got there.

One issue for Mahout is that it is using some above-collections
functionality from Colt that will take very careful modification to
use your (or any other) alternative.

--benson