mahout-dev mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [math]: how to test sorts
Date Wed, 23 Dec 2009 21:09:48 GMT

On Dec 23, 2009, at 3:52 PM, Benson Margulies wrote:

>> If you want to test speed, then a pretty easy way is to pick permutations at
>> random, possibly emphasizing some kinds of permutations and run a sort for
>> those permutations using both algorithms.  Measuring speeds and taking the
>> fastest iteration for each permutation should allow speed comparisons.
>
> Keep in mind that I am I not changing any algorithms. I want to get
> rid of the deprecations on the call graph of the collections code, if
> nothing else, and that call graph includes a mixed bag of nuts. So,
> what I'm really asking is this: when you all put deprecations on all
> of Colt, what level of testing did you anticipate doing before
> removing them?

I guess some testing, but by no means complete.  Personally, I'd say if you write a test for
it that does the reasonable thing (correct output on correct input and maybe some edge testing)
then we can remove the deprecation, but just use your best judgment.  Beyond that, we could
start implementing Clover test coverage, I suppose.