mahout-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Nee <nee.dan...@googlemail.com>
Subject Introduction
Date Thu, 02 Apr 2009 14:52:55 GMT
Hi all,

I've been following Hadoop and the Mahout project for a while now and
I thought I should introduce myself. I'm Daniel Nee, I am a master's
student at University College London studying Computational Statistics
and Machine Learning. Before that I did my undergraduate in Computer
Science at the University of Southampton. I'm keen to help out the
project wherever I can, whether that is coding up new algorithms,
improving documentation/descriptions of the techniques, etc.

One algorithm I am interested in working on is a map/reduce version of
fitting a Gaussian Mixture Model (GMM) via EM. I noticed at least one
person was interested in implementing this for GSoC. I am happy to
provide code/ideas if they do decided to take it further whether as
part of GSoC or as their own project. Due to commitments to my
master's I cannot participate in GSoC myself. The standard
non-parallel EM algorithm for GMM's is pretty straightforward to
implement and I think I have a pretty good idea on how to implement a
map/reduce version.

As a final note, I was wondering if anyone else will be attending the
2nd UK Hadoop User Group
(http://huguk.eventwax.com/hadoop-user-group-uk-2)?

Dan