mahout-dev mailing list archives

From Sean Owen <sro...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Google's Gson JSON
Date Mon, 09 Mar 2009 19:42:49 GMT
If we're going this way -- and I strongly support it -- I'd suggest we
look a step beyond JSON. It is a more compact and standard string
encoding of complex data types, indeed. But it has the secondary goal
of being parseable as Javascript, and a string representation is not
the most efficient encoding.

This strikes me as exactly what Protocol Buffers (or Thrift from FB
perhaps) is for. It is certainly exactly what is used inside Google
for moving data around among MapReduces. It also has Java bindings.