mahout-dev mailing list archives

From Enis Soztutar <enis....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Concerns about Maven
Date Tue, 17 Mar 2009 13:06:52 GMT
Grant Ingersoll wrote:

> On Mar 15, 2009, at 7:38 PM, Sean Owen wrote:
>> On the other hand I do have a complete patch ready to go here that
>> makes it all work -- via Ant that is. The patch also cleans out the
>> Ant cruft from trunk/core BTW since it is exactly this stuff that
>> needs to move. I'd suggest it's worth going this way to keep things
>> working and move ahead with 0.1. My patch removed pom.xml but can put
>> it back if it's needed for packaging purposes -- just trying to avoid
>> duplicating within it some build logic.
>>

> How about leaving in the POM and add the ANT build, and I will make
> sure the two co-exist peacefully.  I'll just have Maven call it Ant,
> but I also bet it won't be that hard to just make it work in Maven.
>
> -Grant
Knowing nothing about the mahout build script(s), I think that having
both ant and maven scripts might prove to be problematic. However
keeping one module(taste) in ant will work. As a side note, we have
discussed this same thing in Hadoop and we opted for ant+ivy. The build
process is very complex for Hadoop, and there are some things that
simply cannot be done with maven. ant+ivy works pretty well for us and
we can generate pom files for deployment.