mahout-dev mailing list archives

From Ted Dunning <ted.dunn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Thought: offering EC2/S3-based services
Date Tue, 03 Feb 2009 02:06:36 GMT
On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 5:57 PM, Tim Bass <tim.silkroad@gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't agree with you that simply putting resources in S3 is better
> than having an AMI as Grant suggests. It is not "either or" but
> "both".

Fair point.

> It would be much easier for people if they could simply log into their
> Amazon account (I have one) and turn on a Mahout AMI, and just
> configure it.

But what if you don't want Ubuntu (or do)?

I would think it just as handy to have a script that I should shove into any
AMI that I happen to run to turn it into a Mahout capable machine.

You are talking about "Hosting files as a service", which is a great idea
> too.

Hmm... I would think of it more along the lines of hosting free software in
binary form.

> However, the SaaS and CaaS model for analytics is well established now
> and this is a perfect model for Mahout in EC2.

And that is not what either of us really proposed.

For that, a higher level service is appropriate and a more appropriate
interface.

AMI's and files are things, not particularly a service.  The category error
is tempting, but I think misleading.