mahout-dev mailing list archives

From "Sean Owen" <sro...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Taste ?'s
Date Mon, 10 Nov 2008 17:05:31 GMT

Fine by me, I had always distributed it myself. I pulled it out here by
request I think in order to reduce the number of dependencies.

I would rather not remove working, plausibly useful functionality just to
avoid a dependency - web services are definitely in that category. At worst
just make it a dependency you have to add, which is what I did here (same
for EJB though not sure anyone actually uses that). Obviously I have no
issue going the other way and including Axis.

On explanation - I like the idea. I am struggling to think of any
commonality between explanations across all algorithms. That may argue
against a generic Explanation object but not against specific
implementations tailored for particular algorithms.

I am then trying to imagine what the explanation is like. For user-based
recommenders it is really a neighborhood of users that explains it. Do you
return that? In an object that tells you stuff like how much a given item is
liked by the group?

I like the idea... when I dig in I am having trouble thinking of just what
an explanation looks like. I can imagine reporting interesting figures (e.g.
most popular items in neighborhood) that don't really explain things.
Perhaps it is good to think of real-world examples like amazon's
'recommended because' function. That I already expose - in the algorithm for
which it makes any sense that is. For instance there would be no such notion
of this in slope-one.

An interesting item to mull over indeed. It is a way a recommender system
could add real insight and value.