mahout-dev mailing list archives

From "Sean Owen" <sro...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Taste ?'s
Date Mon, 10 Nov 2008 13:32:26 GMT
The web service bit won't work without Axis but yes I think the rest
does. The Axis .jars should be added into lib/axis as I recall. I
believe the build file prompts you to do this? at least my build file
does. I don't have it in front of me.

You hit on an interesting feature of the slope-one recommender used in
the demo. It does have this odd tendency to produce similar
recommendations for relatively dense data sets. I haven't really
thought it through or discussed with the creator of this algorithm but
I should.

Top-rated items independent of user -- yes this could be added fairly
easily. It is not really part of a recommender API but something
computable from the data. It... may or may not really explain the
recommendations in general. It *shouldn't*. In the case of slope-one
it sort of does but that is not so desirable.

The explanation is kind of algorithm-specific. For example for
user-based recommenders the explanation relies on the user
neighborhoods that were computed. For slope-one it kind of depends on
item-item rating differences over the whole data set. I am not so sure
yet how to expose that cleanly and consistently. The API methods
needed are all there, but nothing more is done to someone craft an
explanation of some kind.