mahout-dev mailing list archives

From "Sean Owen" <sro...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: More thoughts on Java
Date Sat, 23 Aug 2008 13:10:39 GMT
Cool, I hear you loud and clear on not marking classes final. Glad we
can come to some clear conclusions about conventions as I am sure the
project will benefit as a result. I would not change anything myself
that wasn't unanimously agreed upon, regardless of my own conclusions.

My only follow up is about array syntax... I don't necessarily see it
as an arbitrary style preference. A String array is a "String[]"; to
write it starting with just "String" seems possibly confusing as you
don't immediately parse that as an array reference. It seems strongly
conventional in Java to not use C-style syntax. That said, I don't see
any instances of this in the code anyway. I mentioned it only because
I saw some arrays declared as "String []" (extra space) and I suppose
that's tiny but seems worth standardizing to "String[]".