mahout-dev mailing list archives

From "Goel, Ankur" <Ankur.G...@corp.aol.com>
Subject RE: Taste on Mahout
Date Tue, 20 May 2008 09:20:57 GMT

Hey Sean,
       I actually plan to use slope-one to start with since
- Its simple and known to work well.
- Can be parallelized nicely into the Map-Reduce style.
I also plan to use Tanimoto coefficient for item-item diffs.

Do we have something on slope-one already in Taste as a part of Mahout ?

At the moment I am going through the available documentation on Taste
and code that's present in Mahout.

Your suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
-Ankur

-----Original Message-----
From: Sean Owen [mailto:srowen@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 29, 2008 11:09 PM
To: mahout-dev@lucene.apache.org; Goel, Ankur
Subject: Re: Taste on Mahout

I have some Hadoop code mostly ready to go for Taste.

The first thing to do is let you generate recommendations for all your
users via Hadoop. Unfortunately none of the recommenders truly
parallelize in the way that MapReduce needs it to -- you need all data
to compute any recommendation really -- but you can at least get
paralellization out of this. You can use the framework to run n
recommenders, each computing 1/nth of all recommendations.

The next application is specific to slope-one. Computing the item-item
diffs is exactly the kind of thing that MapReduce is good for, so,
writing a Hadoop job to do this seems like a no-brainer.