mahout-dev mailing list archives

From "Jeff Eastman" <j...@windwardsolutions.com>
Subject RE: MapReduce, machine learning, and introductions
Date Fri, 04 Apr 2008 00:04:52 GMT
Hi Gary,

Thanks for your suggestion on Random Forests. I've cc'd this thread to the
Mahout dev list just in case you would like to continue it there. We have
received a lot of interest from students in conjunction with the Google
Summer of Code project and others looking to contribute to our mission. We
are not restricted at all to the 10 original NIPS algorithms; they were just
a natural starting point and a way to "prime the pump". Perhaps some more
information on your experiences using it on real manufacturing data would
motivate an implementation.

Jeff

  _____

From: Gary Bradski [mailto:garybradski@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, April 03, 2008 4:46 PM
To: Jeff Eastman
Cc: Andrew Y. Ng; Dubey, Pradeep; Jimmy Lin
Subject: Re: MapReduce, machine learning, and introductions

One of the things I'd like to see parallelized is Random forests.  Though
there is no "best" algorithm for classification, when I ran it on Intel
manufacturing data sets it was almost always beating boosting, SVM, and
MART. Zisserman claimed it worked best on keypoint recognition in vision and
his version was the simplest one I've heard.

This is one of those "brain dead" parallelizations -- just parcel out the
learning of trees on randomly selected subsets of the data.  In learning,
each tree randomly selects from a subset of the features at each node.

It has nice techniques for doing feature selection as well.

Gary

On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 4:27 PM, Jeff Eastman <jeff@windwardsolutions.com>