mahout-dev mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Demos/Tutorials
Date Wed, 26 Mar 2008 20:50:41 GMT

On Mar 24, 2008, at 4:48 PM, Isabel Drost wrote:

> On Thursday 20 March 2008, Grant Ingersoll wrote:
>> In the longer run, intro to ML would be cool, but there is lots
>> available
>> on that.
>
> I think Mahout is not really suitable to build demos that explain
> the inner
> workings of the algorithms implemented.

I agree, but as we develop, we will probably have programmer's guides,
etc. which may go into some of the theory in a practical way.

>> I don't think it should be that large, as I don't think we
>> can really show scale.
>
> I agree with that. I think once we offer enough functionality to be
> usable for
> commercial projects it would be nice to gather a list of links to
> users.

I added a PoweredBy page on the Wiki.

> I would also love to see our name mentioned in a few research
> publications or
> at one of the machine learning competitions - the blog track would
> be a
> really great start ;)

+1

>> Just something that shows how to get the source, set it up to run
>> against a
>> test set of data and somehow see the results, even if it is trivial
>> cmd.
>> line stuff.
>
> I think for that we should rely on datasets that are manageable with
> a few
> machines. I would guess people evaluating our library or want to add
> more
> functionality do not necessarily  have a huge cluster of machines at
> their
> disposal.

Definitely, even a single machine would be fine, but will then easily
scale up (in other words, it does all the Hadoop setup).  You don't
really want a demo that runs for more than a few minutes, I don't think.

Something simple like Hadoop's WordCount example comes to mind.

> Isabel
>

> --
> God must have loved calories, she made so many of them.
>  |\      _,,,---,,_       Web:   <http://www.isabel-drost.de>
> '---''(_/--'  `-'\_) (fL)  IM:  <xmpp://MaineC.@spaceboyz.net>

Grant Ingersoll
http://www.lucenebootcamp.com
Next Training: April 7, 2008 at ApacheCon Europe in Amsterdam

Lucene Helpful Hints: